“Workplace culture” has emerged as a key buzzword amongst today’s workforce, driven in large part by millennial employees who expect more out of a job than just a steady paycheque and basic benefits package. But employers are increasingly recognizing the importance of improving workplace culture. Among the benefits of establishing a good workplace culture are:
- Attracting and retaining talented employees
- Fostering company-wide development and growth
- Increasing productivity through employee satisfaction, which leads to:
- Improving financial performance
Google is famously known to be among the first to start the workplace culture trend. The company offers its employees perks such as pets in the office, game rooms, a fitness facility, free lunch and snacks, haircuts, car washes, dry cleaning, and lounge-style seating, to name a few.
But workplace culture doesn’t just apply to big corporations like Google. Here are two ways employers can create a better workplace culture this year:
Provide the six essential aspects of workplace culture
According to employee recognition company O.C. Tanner, there are six essential aspects of workplace culture employers should focus on:
- Purpose – Ensure that employees are connected to the organization’s “reason for being” and difference it makes in the world.
- Opportunity – Provide employees the ability to learn, develop and contribute new skills.
- Success – Give employees the opportunity to innovate, produce meaningful work, and “be on winning teams.”
- Appreciation – Acknowledge and recognize employees’ “outstanding work and unique contributions.”
- Well-being – Pay attention to and constantly work to enhance “employees’ physical, social, emotional and financial health.”
- Leadership – Connect employees to the company’s purpose, empower them to do great work, and create a sense of camaraderie.
Workplace culture has become one of the leading factors for potential employees in deciding whether to accept a job. While considering workplace culture, job candidates tend to focus on these six essential aspects, which were identified by O.C. Tanner based on employee-centric research of over 10,000 companies.
Show appreciation and enhance well-being through benefits
O.C. Tanner’s research showed that employers who clearly show their appreciation to employees see an improvement in the engagement and performance of their staff. On the other hand, companies who failed to show employees appreciation beyond the basics tended to receive lackluster engagement and performance.
The research also determined that combined with appreciation, employee well-being tends to strongly influence retention. Employees who know that their contributions matter to the company, as evidenced by appreciation and company concern for their well-being, are much less likely to leave.
Google obviously takes employee appreciation and well-being seriously, and addresses both with a wide range of benefits that is the envy of employees and employers throughout North America. Some companies may not be amenable to letting employees bring their pets to work, or have the resources to offer in-office lunch options, but there are certainly numerous other benefits that can be offered to enhance employees’ well-being and show the company’s appreciation for their dedicated work.
An easy and affordable way is for employers to offer their employees health and lifestyle benefits with Honeybee’s Allowance Account platform. They can manage the funds and options available to their employees. The platform is free for a limited time when you book a demo with us. Contact your Advisor or a Benecaid Benefits Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 416-626-8786 to schedule and learn more about how Honeybee can help improve workplace culture.